What is ProHeart 6?
ProHeart 6 is a medication that prevents heartworm disease in dogs 6 months of age and older. ProHeart 6 is given by injection by your veterinarian. One injection of ProHeart 6 protects your dog from heartworm disease for 6 complete months. ProHeart 6 also treats common hookworm infections that may be present at the time of injection.
What should I discuss with my veterinarian before using ProHeart 6?
Talk to your veterinarian about your dog’s health, past and present, including:
• General health – ProHeart 6 should only be given to healthy dogs.
• Changes in behavior or health, including weight loss, if any.
• Allergies – Past or present, uncontrolled allergies, including food, flea or skin allergies, if any.
• Past problems with or reactions to vaccines or medications, if any.
• Current medications, supplements or special diets, including those you can get without a prescription, if any.
What possible ProHeart 6 side effects could happen to my dog?
It is important to contact your veterinarian if you observe any signs of illness in your dog. Severe reactions require emergency
treatment by your veterinarian. Watch your dog for the following possible signs of illness:
• Allergic reaction – The most common side effects of ProHeart 6 are allergic symptoms, including swelling of the face, itching, hives and/or inflamed skin. Allergic reactions have been reported when ProHeart 6 and vaccines have been given at the same time. Some allergic reactions can be severe, such as difficulty breathing or collapse.
• Vomiting and/or diarrhea – Either with or without blood.
• Change in your dog’s appetite or activity level
Most reactions occur within the first 24 hours of receiving ProHeart 6; severe allergic reactions may occur in the first hour.
IF YOU NOTICE ANY SIGNS OF ILLNESS, OR ANYTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY AFTER YOUR DOG RECEIVES PROHEART 6, CONTACT YOUR VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY. In some cases, these events may be serious and may cause death.
View Info sheet (PDF) here
Review this information with your veterinarian each time your dog receives ProHeart 6.
This sheet is provided as a summary and does not take the place of instructions from your veterinarian.